Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve Special Event Policy and Fee Schedule
To apply for a Special Event Permit, please complete and submit the application form. All fees described in this policy will be paid to Olivenhain Municipal Water District, who maintains and operates the 748-acre reserve.
Each event organizer for any event included in this policy must obtain a $1 million per incident and $2 million aggregate commercial general liability insurance policy naming Olivenhain Municipal Water District as an additional insured. If alcohol is to be included as part of an event, the insurance policy must include Liquor Liability Coverage.
OMWD recognizes that the Reserve is a desirable location for race events, and strives to find the balance between safely offering these types of events at the Reserve while still offering adequate access of Reserve trails and facilities to the public during these events. For that reason, any proposed race event (e.g., mountain bike, running, duathlon, etc.) will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Minimal requirements for race events are:
- Event organizer must demonstrate their competency in running events of this nature in open space parks.
- Elfin Forest/Harmony Grove Volunteer Fire Department and Rancho Santa Fe Fire Protection District must both have their safety requirements satisfied for any event that is to take place within or to pass through the Reserve. Written documentation of approval from each agency is required.
- All race participants and staff must sign an OMWD liability release form.
- No lasting damage or changes to the Reserve may occur as a result of any race event.
- For any race event that includes areas outside the Reserve, race organizer must provide proof that permission has been granted for the event to take place on other property(ies).
- A $300 administration fee will be paid to OMWD prior to any approved race event.
- A $5 per participant fee will be collected by the Race Organizer and paid to OMWD for any approved race event.
For additional information or questions, please call OMWD ranger staff at 760-632-4212.