Trail Patrol Docent
Successfully complete the free trail patrol training; attend regularly scheduled in-service meetings; high school diploma or equivalent; valid CPR/AED and First Aid certification.
The next training is scheduled to begin on September 28, 2017.
Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with docents, park rangers, Escondido Creek Conservancy staff, and a diverse public; ability to work independently; ability to operate a telephone, 2-way radio, and camera; ability to effectively utilize a personal computer and peripherals; general knowledge of local flora and fauna; ability to write clear and concise notes.
Successful completion of the free trail patrol training; volunteer for one patrol per month for a minimum of six months; regularly attend docent in-service meetings and workshops.
Must be at least 18 years of age; possess a valid California Driver’s License; able to provide proof of medical insurance and proof of automobile insurance.
Ability to tolerate periods of sitting and exposure to outdoor elements; may on an infrequent basis assist with lifting up to 20 pounds; good hearing, eyesight, and speech capabilities; good verbal and written communication skills; ability to work in all types of weather.
Work is primarily performed outdoors; subject to noisy conditions, odors, temperature variations, and contact with animals, insects, and vegetation.
Appropriate personal safety equipment is provided.
Activities and Responsibilities:
- Familiarize public with the Reserve so they feel informed and comfortable exploring.
- Offer general information about the Reserve, Olivenhain Municipal Water District, Escondido Creek Conservancy, and the Interpretive Center Honoring Susan J. Varty.
- Serve as an informal good will ambassador for the Reserve, Olivenhain Municipal Water District, and Escondido Creek Conservancy.
- Stay informed about Reserve services, schedule, and activities.
- Assist with special interpretive center and/or trail projects.
- Regularly attend docent in-service meetings and workshops.
- Report on observed trail and facility conditions.
If you are interested in volunteering as a trail patrol docent,
please complete a Volunteer Application.
Find out more about volunteer opportunities at our next Volunteer Open House on October 19, from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Call 760-632-4212 for details.
Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve Supervisor