Trail Patrol Docent
Successfully complete the free trail patrol training; attend regularly scheduled in-service meetings; high school diploma or equivalent; valid CPR/AED and First Aid certification.
Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with docents, park rangers, Escondido Creek Conservancy staff, and a diverse public; ability to work independently; ability to operate a telephone, 2-way radio, and camera; ability to effectively utilize a personal computer and peripherals; general knowledge of local flora and fauna; ability to write clear and concise notes.
Successful completion of the free trail patrol training; volunteer for one patrol per month for a minimum of six months; regularly attend docent in-service meetings and workshops.
Must be at least 18 years of age; possess a valid California Driver’s License; able to provide proof of medical insurance and proof of automobile insurance.
Ability to tolerate periods of sitting and exposure to outdoor elements; may on an infrequent basis assist with lifting up to 20 pounds; good hearing, eyesight, and speech capabilities; good verbal and written communication skills; ability to work in all types of weather.
Work is primarily performed outdoors; subject to noisy conditions, odors, temperature variations, and contact with animals, insects, and vegetation.
Appropriate personal safety equipment is provided.
Activities and Responsibilities:
- Familiarize public with the Reserve so they feel informed and comfortable exploring.
- Offer general information about the Reserve, Olivenhain Municipal Water District, Escondido Creek Conservancy, and the Interpretive Center Honoring Susan J. Varty.
- Serve as an informal good will ambassador for the Reserve, Olivenhain Municipal Water District, and Escondido Creek Conservancy.
- Stay informed about Reserve services, schedule, and activities.
- Assist with special interpretive center and/or trail projects.
- Regularly attend docent in-service meetings and workshops.
- Report on observed trail and facility conditions.
If you are interested in volunteering as a trail patrol docent,
please complete a Volunteer Application.
To find out more about volunteer opportunities, call 760-632-4212.
Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve Supervisor